Modernization of The Department
Once more AVFD felt the growing pains of a Department growing as rapidly as the community around it. The original little firehouse and the “old hall” were just not big enough for the two ambulances, fire engine, rescue squad, and jeep. Once again, a major change was just around the corner.
A bid was sealed with Ira Rigger Construction Company for the erection of a new modern fire station with an adjoining banquet hall at a cost of $147,272. On Sunday, May 4, 1964, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on the site of the new station. BCoFB Chief Winfield Wineholt and AVFD President Robert Brittingham officially turned over the first shovel of dirt that day.
AVFD moved to its new home at 5200 Southwestern Blvd. on Tuesday evening, October 20, 1964 after more than 25 years at 1330 Linden Ave. The modern building had four apparatus bays, hose tower, sleeping quarters, office space, and a large banquet hall for rental and Departmental affairs.
After the transition was complete, the two old buildings were razed for parking space. The public was invited to an official dedication ceremony and open house on Sunday, October 10, 1965.
During the next several years AVFD continued its growth with the acquisition of more modern apparatus to replace the aging equipment. In December of 1966, a new 1966 Mack C85-FD- 750 GPM pumper (Engine 351) was delivered; in 1968, a new 1967 Jeep brush unit (Brush 352); in 1971, a 1969 Brockway/Providence Heavy Rescue Squad (Rescue Squad 354). Between the early 1960’s and the late 1970’s, the ambulances were being replaced at a rate of about one every two years.